This term, year 6 will be exploring the ancient kingdom of Benin and how it became an empire and a civilisation.
Children will be expected to:
- Place current topic of study on a time line in relation to previous periods of study
- Think critically weighing evidence and sifting arguments
- Begin to understand about beliefs, behaviour and characteristics of people recognising that not everyone shares the same views and feelings
- Compare and contrast accounts of events from different perspectives, offering some explanations for different versions of events
- Understand terms such as; empire, civilisation, parliamentary and peasantry
- Understand historical concepts such as continuity, change, cause and consequence
- Understand connections between local, regional, national and international history
- Link sources and work out how conclusions were arrived at
- Consider ways of checking the accuracy of interpretations – fact, fiction or opinion?
- Use the library/internet confidently for research